Friday, October 2, 2009

Hi All,
Just a short note. We just got back from the Laura congregation meeting. Vin is taking a shower and I decided to see if we have any mail. At the hotel in the lobby the wireless is free. So we are going to take advantage of it before we find a place.
About the tsunami, we heard about it on the plane going to Hawaii. The captain informed us that the plane may not even go to Hawaii because of the tsunami warning. We were thinking, "oh great!!!" Well the warning was canceled, and we were on our way to Mauii. When we got to Majuro the friends said that a tsunami wave did come, but the way the ground is sloped on the ocean side keeps the wave from getting big. So everything is fine here.
Today we looked for a place in the Laura area which is a lot more rural. Couldn't find much, but the word is out that we are looking for something. In the Rita Congregation area the houses are pretty run down. Actually pretty nasty. Most places are pretty run down actually! In one of the villages where some other need greaters are, there is an apartment for rent. That would be the closest to what we see in the US. Nothing special though. If we can get a ride, we will check them out. I have to remind myself that we have only been here for two days. We have already been to two meetings and met the brothers and sisters. All are so nice. The territory is amazing - no not at homes!! You always get somebody at the door. Hey, by the way, It is very hard to get the English Watchtower and Awake. Is it possible that someone could send from November on two copies each? Down here they are on April's magazing that is printed for September and October. Plus they don't have the Awake in Marshallese. So once we read it, I know there will be a lot that will want to see it.
My language skill is getting tweeked by hearing the friends and the proper pronounciation. Although we are finding that most of the people know English very well. So you get lazy trying to speak Marshallese. Still I am using it and the people appreciate it that you try.
Today while looking for a house, we walked around and abandoned place to look inside. Unfortuanely there was a plant that it's seeds decided that my skirt was great to attach to. We must have plucked seeds off my skirt for at least a half hour! Won't do that again. Some of the other need greaters that we have met are either our age or younger. So far we are just about the oldest.
Well that is it for now. I don't have our P.O. Box number with me, but I will let you all know tommorow. All of our love to all of you. We miss you all and the cold weather. Very hot here today. Good news is I don't need to put on so much lotion!
Will write again. Love, Lynn

3 comments:

  1. It's great to hear you made it just fine! I'm glad the computer made it and is working too! :) Can't wait to hear more updates, its so encouraging to those of us still here in "Not at Home Land". Love, Sarah and Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the post lynn, please keep them coming.
    I hope you find a good home soon.
    Everyday is going to be an adventure for you.
    I wish I could bottle up some cold for you and you some heat for me, it has turned so nasty.
    take care and say hi to vince, Jehovah's blessing and lots of love Deana and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure you are having! I can't wait until the next installment.
    Jazz and I went up the mountain yesterday. It was cold! She is doing extremely well, and the missing octopus legs were successfully recycled. Details in letter to come. Love, Susan & Jazz

    ReplyDelete