Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Best Talk I ever Heard!

What do you do when homesickness hits. It was perhaps an accumulation of events, of what we are coming to realize , as the missionaries and local brothers would say  “welcome to Majuro” or “ life in Majuro”.  High on the list of frustrations is trying not to feel completely  inadequate and continuing to learn a new language. Added to the list this month was tieing the flat tire record with another “need greater” at 3 in 3 months, actually our percentage is better than theirs. Then there  was finally the arrival of our water filter in a long lost box which took 3 months to get here and its the wrong kind.  To go right to the #1 event was a rat shows up in our toilet!  Unfortunately discovered by Lynn and fortunately rescued by a kindly and brave Marshallese sister who was helping her prepare lunch for the CO.  By rescued, I mean Lynn, not the rat!   It received it’s just punishment. 

  Now for the encouragement We had the first visit of our CO, of all places he is from Long Island and with him is a representative from the branch in Guam and it turns out he is also from Long Island and grew up with our former Helena Co’s wife. First  we receive a letter from  the branch in Guam with the most encouraging thanks and acknowledgement to the challenges we face most especially to not “give up” on the language barrier! Then the talks begin our CO with the admonition for all to tap into the power of God’s word and to “handle the word of truth aright”.  He also in a very exciting ‘moment’ for the entire Micronesian peoples discusses the new light for this area that the governing body has recognized the need to more accurately translate according to the original Bible languages the word for God’s spirit or God’s active force. In the Marshallese language it turns out that the word that has been used in Bibles and in our publications literally means ‘holy ghost’ or a spirit being not God’s power or active force as the original languages demand. Corrections are being made in the publications and no word yet if a NWT is in the works.   Next comes a special talk by the Branch servant with the encouragement to have faith like Noah! Not faith like the world in blind belief but faith based on a knowledge of God’s creative works and on his unchanging and assured word’s of truth.  But the very next afternoon our telephone rings and we would here “The Best Talk I Ever Heard”. Thanks to Jake and Kim  they let our grandson Justin call us after just getting home late from meeting (probably 10 pm your time) to say high and he was quite excited to tell grandma of his first non reading talk in Mt Helena and she says “why don't you give your talk to grandpa, here he is”. He told me about picturing yourself in paradise, imagine the things you would enjoy doing! Then he said he asked does this sound to good to be true. He talked about the Bible’s assured  promises. He used the illustration of would a landlord, if his renters were trashing his house burn down the house or get rid of the renters. I told him it sounded almost exactly like the co’s suggested presentation to start bible study’s  this week, and I am now telling you Justin that we have already three rv’s to study in the Bible Teach book using your talk as a presentation. It was the best talk I ever heard, kommol tada, thank you!       By the way your encouragement reminded me of another phone call with Kennedy about her commenting at the meeting at which I had sheepishly told her she had commented more than me at my last meeting. I have since made it a goal for at least one comment even if in broken Marshallese! Thanks Kennedy! So if you have endured this journal entry I hope you do not mind the “family” pictures. I only wish I had three pictures of the three Helena congregations to include , so please see yourselves here!IMG_0634

P1010400

P1010017

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. You made me cry...but that's nothing new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I showed Kennedy her picture. She said,"They have that down there?"
    I said,"Yes. Does that make you happy that they have that down there?"
    She said,"Yes. That makes me very happy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great news. Everytime I look at the pictures the island just gets more beautiful. Hey, Lynn, I went on the second visit of a call that you and I had got just before you left. I had started the conversation on a family note and asked if he was a family man. He replied that his wife left him and his kids are spread out through the U.S. I just stood there in disbelief as my presentation went down the tubes. Maybe I should have stuck with the football presentation you did since he is a cats fan. But, he ended up taking the magazines and we had a wonderful conversation. I hope the truth hits his heart too. We are still missing you here, but knowing you guys are doing well and are enjoying your service is all worth it. Can't wait for the next post. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you brought a tear to my eye too. we are so proud and happy that you guys get to be there. keep up all the good work -- love you both lots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we miss you guys too. But, we are excited about your adventurous life there, and you're encouraging alot of brothers all over. We love you and are proud of you. -chad and leah

    ReplyDelete