Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Take I90 just past the Airport…

           From our house which is at basically the  center of Majuro, a friend clocked 15mi. to each end of the atoll  give or take a banana or two(probably 10 bananas the bananas are all the 3 inch size). Anyway if you get on the freeway left turn east out of our dirt driveway, drive about three miles towards town, that includes Rairok, Delop, Rita, do not turn off the freeway at three miles or you will be on the airport runway and it also serves as a huge water catch from rain runoff into a holding reservoir for town water system. Speed bumps will allow you to go slow enough to wave at passengers landing, look carefully you may see someone you know through the windows. Incidentally we heve been here long enough to hate speed bumps  and boy oh boy do they shake the “tuna can” if you forget to look for them and hit them at Freeway high speed, maybe all of 33mph!  So far we have’nt lost any parts or passengers but maybe this adds to our flat tire contest, drive on!P1010376 1.This is  on the freeway just at the end of the airport runway. If it’s visible a 3 foot fence separates the runway from the kids playing, maybe racing the plane. Homeland security?!     2.On the interstate 90  runway to the right ocean on the left. The pictured tree is on the ocean edge. On most of the road there is no room for trees just ocean, road , and runway. Just past this portion of the road you there is room on the ocean side for a airplane hanger and the road presently goes between the hanger and the runway so be prepared to stop for crossing airplanes and do not try to follow the airplane to test drag race your tuna can. Homeland security locks the gate anyway behind the plane.     3. Wave hi!  If its M,W, or F its someone from Guam, if T,TH or S it is someone from Hawaii, unles it’s the late flight departing which is the opposite, one a day. That leaves just the mail plane weekly and an occasional local Marshall Island Airline flight to other atolls.P1010379 P1010380

2 comments:

  1. Where's the sunshine? It was 20 below this morning - I want the warm sun shine!! We did phone witnessing this morning so I shouldn't complain about the cold.
    Your comment about drag racing a plane with your tuna can made me laugh. Really highlights the word DRAG in that case doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again, this is Stephanie Miller from Enid, Oklahoma. I wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog and the pictures you have posted. Especially the one of the entire congregation. There is a family here that is inactive from the marshall islands and I am going to show him the picture. Hopefully he recognizes some in the picture and it encourages him. I have finally found the link to get the Marshallese bibles from the baptist church there. They are sending me 12 bibles. Been in contact with a David Dutter. I guess he is one of the founders of the baptist church there. I didn't really mention that I was a witness. Wasn't sure if he would send them to me if I did. But he was very nice :) Anyway, if anyone reads this comment and can contact vince and lynn to contact me I would love it. They must have not seen my last comment over a month ago and I would really like some suggestions for our territory here in Oklahoma. We have the 2nd largest population of Marshallese in the united states here. I would really love to try witnessing to them. There are about 6 or 7 other pioneers willing to help too. Thanks to anyone who can help. Sincerely, Stephanie Miller jgslmiller10@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete